Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Christmas Card Animation

Custard Square asked me to create an animated greeting card using cute dinosaur characters. And of course, I said 'yes'. Before I go on, here is the final animation:

The following are some dino-suit concepts.
Concept Sheet #1
Concept Sheet #2
There were a lot of discussions over what the dinosaur suits should look like. Whether they should have teeth or not because clearly the teeth were too sharp and it looked like the human was being digested...etc. But we came to an agreement once I produced enough designs. I promise you, it wasn't because I was beating them with my nunchucks.

There was a lot of choreography involved also (and lucky for you, the films of myself dancing like a drunk clown have been erased). And after that were samples of the dancing dinos. Here's a couple:

And finally the stage design. So very easy to do in Illustrator. Not so much in Flash. There were a lot of graphics being imported and exported repeatedly between the two software. Flash is NOT kind to drop shadows. Nevertheless I got there in the end, and here is another work in progress image in the template.
Like any other animation, it was lot of hard work (the whole thing had to be done within a month). But even after watching this video 5 billion times, it still makes me laugh, so I am happy I got to work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment